Tuesday, March 2, 2010
The Mayo Clinic Diet with recipe for Morning Glory Muffins
Compiled by doctors and nutritionists from the world-renown Mayo Clinic, “The Mayo Clinic Diet” might well be the only diet book you will ever need. Written in easy to understand, easy to follow language, this bright, colorful book breaks down the dieting game into two sections – “Lose It” and “Live It.” Simple enough!
This is an extremely well thought-out book, filled with colorful photos and easy to follow advice that make it appealing and encouraging for those of us who need to get healthy this year. An accompanying journal is also available to use in conjunction with the book, and is quck and easy to learn to use. Proceeds from the book have been designated to support medical education and research for the Mayo Clinic.
Here is a recipe from the book:
Morning Glory Muffins
By the weight-loss experts at Mayo Clinic and Donald Hensrud, M.D., M.P.H.Authors of The Mayo Clinic Diet: Eat well. Enjoy life. Lose weight.
15 MINUTES PREPARATION TIME + 35 MINUTES COOKING TIME + MAKES 18 SMALL MUFFINS
1 c. all-purpose (plain) flour
1 c. whole-wheat flour
¾ c. sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. salt
¾ c. egg substitute
½ c. vegetable oil
½ c. unsweetened applesauce
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 c. chopped apples, unpeeled
½ c. raisins
¾ c. grated carrots
2 tbsp. chopped pecans
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2. Line a muffin pan with paper or foil liners.
3. In a bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Whisk to blend evenly.
4. In a separate bowl, add egg substitute, oil, applesauce and vanilla. Stir in apples, raisins and carrots. Add to the flour mixture and blend just until moistened but still slightly lumpy.
5. Spoon the batter into muffin cups, filling each cup about 2/3 full. Sprinkle with chopped pecans and bake until springy to the touch, about 35 minutes.
6. Let cool for 5 minutes, then transfer the muffins to a wire rack and let cool completely. Serve.
The above is an excerpt from the book The Mayo Clinic Diet: Eat well. Enjoy life. Lose weight., by the weight-loss experts at Mayo Clinic and Donald Hensrud, M.D., M.P.H.
Reprinted from The Mayo Clinic Diet, © 2010 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research. Published by Good Books (www.GoodBooks.com). Used by permission. All rights reserved.
Review copy provided by FSB Associates for review.