In Julia Quinn’s new book, “Ten Things I Love About You,” her heroine, Annabel Winslow, makes lists of ten things (or more) whenever she gets into a stressful situation. And Annabel finds herself in plenty of stressful situations.
Brought to London by her eccentric grandmother to find a husband, Annabel finds herself almost betrothed to the wealthy, but old and obnoxious Earl of Newbury, a man old enough to be her grandfather and who makes her skin crawl whenever he is around. But she is resigned to take the plunge for the sake of her mother and family who are desperately poor.
But one night, in a garden, Annabel meets the mysterious, handsome and notorious Sebastian Grey and with one kiss is in danger of falling head over heels in love with him…but when she finds out that he is the nephew of the repulsive Earl…well, things are about to get mighty hot in London!
“Ten Things I Love About You” is a pure delight from start to finish. Quinn’s characters are so personable, and her storytelling so creative and imaginative, that you feel like you are a part of the story and know these people as well as you know your own family – that is true writing talent!
So, in tribute to Miss Annabel’s passion for ten things, here are ten things I loved about “Ten Things I Love About You” …
1. Annabel Winslow is a sassy gal who’s not ashamed of having a few curves.
2. Sebastian Grey secretly writes romantic novels under an assumed name, and is proud of his work.
3. Annabel enjoys Sebastian’s novels, but isn’t gaga over them like her cousin Louisa.
4. Sebastian’s cousin’s wife Olivia is a sweet, beautiful and caring lady who takes Annabel under her wing.
5. Annabel’s grandmother is a lusty old bat who takes quite a shine to Sebastian, to his horror.
6. Annabel isn’t afraid to laugh out loud or say exactly what she means.
7. Sebastian finds those qualities endearing in Annabel.
8. The love scenes between Annabel and Sebastian are tender and sensual without being too over-the-top! There’s got to be a little mystery!!
9. Julia Quinn’s description of the parties and gowns are exquisite and makes you long for a gown in sage green.
And finally …number 10 - There is excitement, romance and lots and lots of laughs in this book, making it a perfect way to spend a day of reading.
Be sure to check out Julia Quinn’s website (www.juliaquinn.com) for information on her previous books, and what fun events she has coming up.
And as a special treat…tonight Julia will be the guest of a virtual booksigning party being sponsored by Avon Books, Powell’s Bookstore, and FreshFiction.com, beginning at 7 p.m. PST. You can watch the fun at http://freshfiction.com/julia-quinn.php.
Thanks to Avon Books for the review copy of “Ten Things I Love About You.” My review is my opinion and I was not compensated for my thoughts.