Along with faith and family, food is a big part of what holds the Robertson family of "Duck Dynasty" fame together, and it's the family matriarch, Miss Kay, who holds the spoon that keeps the pots full of delicious meals for her brood.
Miss Kay shares some of her best family recipes in her new cookbook, "Miss Kay's Duck Commander Kitchen," which she has put together with the help of Chrys Howard. (Crys is Korie, Willie Robertson's wife's mother!) And this book is not only filled with some yummy sounding recipes, it's chalk-full of family photos and funny little notes from Miss Kay herself.
I loved this book and I'm sure I'll be referring back to it often - although I think I'll pass on the Squirrel and Dumplings.
Here's more about the Book -
About The Book:
• Melt-in-Your-Mouth Biscuits
• Cheesy Corn Casserole
• Fresh Strawberry Pie
• Best Brisket Ever
• Crawfish Balls
• Creamy Green Grape Salad
• Papaw Phil’s Homemade Ice Cream
Here is one of my favorite recipes from Miss Kay's book -
Miss Kay's Banana Pudding
- 2 sticks of butter
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ¾ cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 12 oz. can of Pet Milk (evaporated milk)
- ¾ cup of milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 bag vanilla wafers
- 2 bananas, sliced
- In a large double boiler melt the butter and then add the sugar, salt, flour, evaporated milk and regular milk. Stir with a whisk.
- Add the egg yolks to the mixture, constantly stirring until thick. Add the vanilla extract.
- Place the vanilla wafers and bananas into a 9" x 13" Pyrex dish. Then pour in mixture.
- Chill before serving.
About The Authors:
My thanks to Howard Books for providing the review copy of this book. I was not compensated for my opinion.
Weekend Cooking is a weekly meme sponsored by Beth Fish Reads (www.bethfishreads.com) Check out what other bloggers are cooking up this weekend!